Saturday, April 9, 2011

body wisdom

funny that the last post was "bouncing back from illness" because i was still very sick when i was writing that.  in fact, i'm still a little sick, although antibiotics are making me better little by little.  what was a shitty weekend stomach flu thing turned into a full blown bad cold, turned into pneumonia.  i finally went to the clinic last monday after a coughing fit that almost made me pass out.  i had put it off because i wanted to feel better, even though i really didn't feel much better.  and maybe if i thought positively, took herbs, and started drinking coffee and working a lot, i might shake it.  WRONG.  i was ignoring the signs that something was wrong, this thing was serious, and it needed some actual medical attention. 
so this gets me back to the subject at hand, my weight loss journey.   that's why we're here, right?  otherwise this blog might be called "phlegmy girl", but no one likes her...ANYWAY,
i think it's really important to listen to your body.  your body is wise.  it knows when it needs rest, sustenance, affection, motion, and self-care.  it will tell you what it needs with subtle or not-so subtle signs.  and it's important to listen. even when you feel like you're a busy modern career gal (ha!) who can't be bothered to nap, run, or pack a snack, it's important to try to do these things if you need them.  i'm learning that.  my body is smarter than my ego, which tries to override the body's cries for whatever it is that it needs. 
the last few weeks i tried hard to listen to my body and decipher what it was telling me (except for the sick part, i'm still learning).  when i was truly hungry, i ate food.  but i ate nutritious things that filled me up.  i made good choices, even on my birthday.  i indulged when i wanted to, but i didn't overindulge.  when i was feeling low, i napped, drank water, or sat down for a minute or two.  i went to bed when i was tired.  i took walks when my legs felt the itch to move.  and guess what, in the last few weeks, i've lost 4lb.  at my weight watchers meeting last week,  my loss was a big 3.4lb, which made me feel so awesome, because i knew i had been working the program and really being present and accountable for my body.  i was the steward of my big booty.  it felt really good. 
now that i am really feeling better and recovering from my illness, i know that i can do this thing.  if i can do it when down and out, i can definitely do it on the up and up, right?
this post is dedicated to my friend Animal who lost an awesome 25lb. so far on Weight Watchers, and that is just super cool.  Go Animal!! XOXO
i really want to write a #100thingsaboutme post, but it's going to take me a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment